I think we are all over lockdowns, aren’t we? There seems to be a certain amount of apathy right now – new year, rubbish weather, short days, no end in sight for the Covid enforced way of life…..blah, blah, blah.
As a small business owner, you may be questioning whether marketing your business is worth the time and potential cost right now?
I wrote an article during the second UK lockdown on this, not really expecting there to be a third one to contend with. However, I am also an eternal optimist and it’s the start of a new year so I have to deal with the reality that uncertainty is going to be the norm for the foreseeable future.
If you are on the fence about whether to continue (or start) any marketing campaigns during the lockdown, you may be put off by:
- Limited time with the increased commitments of working from home.
- A lack of budget as you need to manage outgoings very closely.
- General overwhelm as you battle to find a new normal for your business.
- Caution as you want to make sure your content shows empathy and understanding
All of these elements can leave you less confident about promoting your business; and a worry that investing time and money on it right now will not bring anything back while the world is challenged by Covid-19 and the uncertainty of how long this third lockdown plus the whole concept of social distancing and other restrictions will remain in place.
Well, enough of the doom and gloom – this is actually THE very best time to be marketing your products or services, with a good degree of empathy of course.
Because being visible or getting more visible online is critical right now. If you wait until life returns to ‘normal’ then you will miss out. People are still doing business, the world is different but it has not stopped, it’s just (excuse the cliché) pivoted somewhat. And what if this IS the new normal for the foreseeable future?
Embracing this opportunity to stay visible will ensure you can continue to add value for your existing clients and build ‘know, like and trust’ with future ones too, as well as raise awareness of your products or services and grow your online networks.
- You will be in a good position when we come out on the other side.
- You will have built a network of solid business connections.
- You will have raised awareness of your brand and what you offer.
- You will have new clients engaged, ready, and waiting to buy.
Are you concerned about spending money?
Marketing doesn’t have to cost money; it just requires some clear steps and commitment to time each day with a bit of preparation first.
Are you short on time to focus on marketing?
You are a business owner, to be successful you have to commit a certain number of hours to work on your business, not just in it. That includes marketing.
Are you overwhelmed by having to pivot your business?
Go back to basics and redefine your audience and focus your marketing efforts on how you can engage with them.
Here are 10 steps to get you and your business visible for FREE! I’ve shared these before, but they are still very relevant right now.
- Know who your ideal client is (It is NOT everyone!)
- Make sure your website and/or social media content is engaging for them
- Focus on just 1 or 2 social media – don’t spread yourself too thin
- Learn how to use those 1 or 2 to get the best coverage and engagement
- Add value – advice, ideas, education – do not focus on selling at this time
- Be visible daily – posts, comments – don’t just ‘Like’ its lazy!
- Grow your followers, friends, connections
- Be active in FaceBook groups – find and join ones that suit your business
- Think about visual content – not just text – keep it consistent and ‘on brand’
- Once you’re up and running – this is less than an hour a day (Monday to Friday)
If this has given you food for thought but you’d like a good old-fashioned chat, then feel free to pick my brains.
Take advantage of my FREE 30-minute review tailored to your business and designed to be a fact-packed session to give your marketing a bit of oomph in these challenging times.
Book your review and let’s get on the right track for 2021 – whatever it throws our way!
#smallbusinessmarketing #makemarketingmatter #idealclient #beunique