As a small business owner, marketing your business online may seem overwhelming at the best of times but right now in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic, is it worth the time and potential cost?
We’re in a second lockdown in the UK which may or may not end on December 2nd, so do you think, I’ll wait until we’re out and then look at my marketing?
It’s a time of real uncertainty but I for one have felt focused and determined to not let it get me down and to forge ahead with purpose with my business plans. I do need to be mindful that sentiment will not be how everyone feels so it’s also important to show empathy and understanding in my marketing content too.
If you are on the fence about whether to continue (or start) any marketing campaigns during the lockdown, you may be put off by:
- A lack of budget as you need to manage outgoings very closely
- Limited time with the increased commitments of working from home
- Little or no marketing experience so not sure what tone to use
- General overwhelm as you battle to find a new normal for your business
All of these elements can leave you less confident about promoting your business; and a worry that investing time and money on it right now will not bring anything back while the world is challenged by Covid-19 and the uncertainty of how long this second lockdown plus the whole concept of social distancing and other restrictions will remain in place.
This is actually THE very best time to be marketing your products or services, with a good degree of empathy of course.
Because being visible or getting visible online is critical right now. If you wait until life returns to ‘normal’ then you will miss out. People are still doing business, the world is different but it has not stopped.
Embracing this opportunity to stay visible will ensure you can continue to add value for your existing clients and build ‘know, like and trust’ with future ones too, as well as raise awareness of your products or services and grow your online networks.
- You will be in a good position when we come out on the other side.
- It doesn’t have to cost money; it just requires some clear steps and commitment to time each day with a bit of preparation first.
The one key action before you start any marketing is to define who your ideal client is so you invest in getting visible to the right audience!
Here are 10 steps to get you and your business visible for FREE!
- Know who your ideal client is (It is NOT everyone!)
- Make sure your website and/or social media content is engaging for them
- Focus on just 1 or 2 social media – don’t spread yourself too thin
- Learn how to use those 1 or 2 to get the best coverage and engagement
- Add value – advice, ideas, education – do not focus on selling at this time
- Be visible daily – posts, comments – don’t just ‘Like’ its lazy!
- Grow your followers, friends, connections
- Be active in FaceBook groups – find and join ones that suit your business
- Think about visual content – not just text – keep it consistent and ‘on brand’
- Once you’re up and running – this is less than an hour a day (Monday to Friday)
You can download a full e-book on my 10 Steps which gives a whole load more hints and tips to get your business more visible during lockdown V 2.0 and beyond.
Also, if you need some help with defining your ideal client then I am here to help!
I offer a FREE 30-minute review tailored to your business and designed to be a fact-packed session to give your marketing a bit of oomph in these challenging times.
#smallbusinessmarketing #makemarketingmatter #idealclient #beunique